Preconfigured HTML metadata
Even though HTML metadata is not displayed on your site, is visible to and used by search engines, social media platforms, and other web services. For the Sector Starter Kit we have preconfigured a few basic settings to get you started.
The <meta> tag - a part of your node's source or code - provides metadata to specify the way your content should be displayed. It provides additional information using, amongst others, page descriptions, keywords, and teaser images.
Required Drupal contribution modules
The Drupal Metatag module is part of the Sector Starter Kit, it includes more than 15 submodules for specific applications. Since Sector D8 beta 2, the Metatag: Open Graph submodule is activated by default.
Features and functionality
Your metadata configuration should be specific to your site based on your business objectives and your user needs. But there are a few things that most websites have in common and the Starter Kit provides a set of tools and settings to support further configuration.
- A base set of metadata configuration using tokens to reuse your page titles and body summaries for HTML metadata
- A image style to allow specific sizes for your social media images
Related entities and configuration (Sector D8)
- Global settings - we have used tokens for URL and title metatags.
- 404 and 403 pages should not be indexed - no tags are set and the robots tag is set to noindex.
- All content - the description for all content is taken from the node summary token.
If your content type does not have a body field, you can add a content type specific metatag using a different text field or a default text.
- The Sector content type promotion should not be indexed - no tags are set and the robots tag is set to noindex .
- Most Sector sites are expected to not have public user profiles and taxonomy term pages - no tags are set and the robots tag is set to noindex.
Social media image style
More about how to use the social media image style can be red in our Open Graph and Metatags for social sharing blog post.