Differences between Sector D7 and Sector D8
The differences between Drupal 7 and Drupal 8 are significant and have major dependencies on Sector D8.
Drupal 8 includes:
- 200+ new features and improvements
- A move to the PHP framework Symfony
- A new theming approach using flexible, fast, and secure template engine Twig
- A new approach and architecture to Drupal distributions
- A new way to install and maintain Drupal projects
- A move to migrate functionality previously provided by contributed modules into core (or migrate the contributed modules into the module included in core).
In many aspects, Drupal 8 is not an upgrade, but a new application. Many standard contributed modules are still catching up with the steep upgrade path or are replaced by new native Drupal 8 modules.
What does that mean for Sector?
The major changes in Sector D8 include:
- A move from Drupal 7 Features to Drupal 8 Configuration Management
- A move from three separate install profiles to a flexible, modular Sector add-on module architecture
A Sector D8 Starter Kit followed by continued improvements over 2018 to deliver a full Sector module suite.
- A Sector D8 Media roadmap in step with the Drupal media roadmap
Read more about our Sector D8 Roadmap.